2 OCTOBER, MELBOURNE 2017: This Wednesday 4 October between 9am-9.30am at Docklands, a press conference will take place to officially announce the Volvo Ocean Race Melbourne stopover. Victorian Lord Mayor, Robert Doyle; General Manager Consumer Markets at Visit Victoria, Nicki Kenyon; and CEO at Mayo&Calder (appointed events agency), Thomas Mayo, will celebrate the introduction with a ceremonial launch process, as per the sailing tradition, of blessing the festival site with a shaken bottle of sparkling wine.
Melbourne City will welcome the world’s best sailors as part of the iconic Volvo Ocean Race for the first time in over a decade this summer. From 27 December 2017 to 2 January 2018, the Melbourne Race Village at Victoria Harbour, Docklands will welcome the best sailors from around the globe and play host to a week-long, free public festival. Held every three years and spanning for eight months, the globally renowned sporting event will stop over at Docklands as part of the Cape Town to Melbourne pit stop.
Please see further information about the press conference below.
- What:The official media announcement of the Volvo Ocean Race Melbourne stopover
- When: Wednesday 4 October between 9am-9.30am
- Where: The north end of the NAB forecourt. Victoria Harbour in Docklands 892 Collins St, Docklands VIC 3008
- Who: Victorian Lord Mayor, Robert Doyle; Nicki Kenyon, General Manager Consumer Markets at Visit Victoria; and Thomas Mayo, CEO at Mayo&Calder will welcome guests and chat about the iconic global sporting event and its affiliation with Melbourne City. They will all be available for interviews and photo/video opportunities.
- Visuals: Capture Thomas Mayo of Mayo&Calder officially christen the Melbourne Stopover location in ceremonial maritime tradition of shaking a bottle of sparkling wine, popping it and pouring it over the festival site.
- Getting there: Find out the best way to get to Victoria Harbour in Docklands via this website: https://goo.gl/YGD5Cw . Free, two-hour and street metered parking is located on Bourke Street, North Wharf Road and other locations throughout Docklands.
The consumer Volvo Race Village at Docklands will include live music and performances, on and off water activities and entertainment, food trucks and exclusive on-boat experiences.
If you would like to attend the press conference, please contact Hatching Communications:
P: +61 3 9429 5251
M: 0499 199 344
Volvo Ocean Race Backgrounder
The Volvo Ocean Race is co – owned by Volvo Group and Volvo Car Group, two companies that share the same brand. The Volvo Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and engines whilst the Volvo Car Group is one of the most well-known car manufactures in the world. Since acquiring the event in 1999, Volvo has seen the event and its global scope as a fantastic platform to further strengthen its brand as well as continuing and creating new business with customers and partners, both old and new. https://www.volvooceanracemelbourne.com
Share LORD MAYOR TO OFFICIALLY LAUNCH VOLVO OCEAN RACE MELBOURNE STOPOVER' to a friend